Friday, December 9, 2011

How much is that Puppy in the window?

It's been awhile since I got on here.  I feel a little like I've missed out on some of the things that are happening in your lives, but then, maybe I'm still up to date as long as you're still on Facebook!  I check FB but rarely have a lot to actually post on there.  Maybe because so many people that I don't actually care to know all my life details may read it...but here, with my few close friends, I feel like I can share more information without as much reserve.

So let me tell you about the newest exciting thing in my life!  I decided to get a puppy!  I've wanted one for a long time, and a friend's dog had a litter.  I'd decided early that I wasn't ready, but then she was going to have a puppy returned to her since the buyer was facing a serious illness.  I decided it was a "sign"!  And I made an offer.  Unfortunately, the buyer hadn't totally made up her mind...so was I willing to wait a month or so (while the puppy lived with her, getting attached to her, was being trained by her)?  Umm, I decided no.  For the simple reason that this dream puppy I have wanted is a Rottweiler.  Yes, I know the stereotypes, but I have known some amazing Rotti dogs.  However, if I'm going to have one, I want to train it from the earliest possible point, so that no friends or family have to be concerned about coming to visit.

So I said no to being "wait-listed" for the puppy.  Sad day!  But I'm pretty sure it was the right decision.  In my sadness, I browsed through some rescue websites...and lo, and behold, I found a dog.  Not a puppy.  Not a pure Rotti.  But possibly the most adorable, tragic story, trained, good-fit-for-my-family dog ever.  (Besides of course, our yellow lab Toby who is a great dog!!)



So on Sunday, Luna is coming to visit!  We will see if she and Toby seem they can be friends, and if so, Luna will stay through Wednesday to find out if she's a good match for us, and us for her!  I'm so excited.  I really had wanted a puppy to train and raise, but I feel good about the potential for Luna to become part of the family.  She needs a good home since her current owner's job requires so much travel, and I can avoid the whole house training/initial costs of a puppy thing...Here's a Luna pic:


I've been looking up lots of tips for helping an adult dog adjust.  I didn't realize how many great sites and information are out there!  So here's a plug--if a pet is right for you, check out how many there are out there that just need a new good home.  With much less cost and effort than a new puppy, you may find a perfect match for you.

I'll let you know how things go--if Luna becomes a family member or not--and what we learned to make the transition easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment