Monday, August 15, 2011

Shameless pitch!

Today is my catch-up day.  About once a month (or every 2 weeks if possible), I catch up on the mountain of paperwork that accrues on my rather large walnut desk.  I point out the size, because it really should be able to swallow up and conceal the bills, fliers, magazines, and random papers that I stick upon it throughout the month.

It doesn't.  The pile starts to grow, and I can't help noticing it and shuddering a little until days like today.  My Monday off.  From my regular job.  It's usually less of a day off and more of a day ON!

I love this point in that day "on", though.  The desk is organized once again; dusted (though heaven only knows how dust gets in and under that Everest of paperwork); and once again, it's functional!  Much of the time, I am poorer by the time I've sorted everything out, paid what needs to be paid, and sigh at what I would like to get from those magazines but decided I really can't afford.  By the way, tip of the day for everyone--shop right AFTER you've paid bills.  It makes me incredibly more discerning about what's really worth it...

Today though is a special day in that it's time to write to my child.  ("What?!" -- I can hear you now under your breath-- "I didn't know she had a kid!") And only imagine what my situation would be if I were only communicating with that child in a once-a-month letter!

My child's name is Angie Sabido.  She lives in a very rural northern part of the Philippines.  I am her Compassion International sponsor.  For $38 a month, I am a part of changing her life and that of her family.  My sponsorship allows Angie to learn at the Compassion International center, get nutritious meals, get regular health screenings and medical treatment when necessary.  She will also learn about the love of Jesus, receive personal attention, play with other children in a safe environment and know that she is loved by Christian adults who care about her and her personal welfare.  (details/wording plagiarized from the Compassion sponsorship packet.) 

Wow.  For the price of a tank of gas, I can let a little 7 year old girl know she is loved, and more than that--to let her be taken care of by people in her community with outside assistance as necessary.  That's pretty cool.

Angie likes singing, playing house, and art...She sent me a letter with some of her favorite things (game, song, best friend...)  I love this little girl already.  I'm not taking the place of anyone in her family or community, but I know already from the letter her mother wrote me that I do have a very special place in her life.  I can help her break the cycle of poverty and by doing so, touch her family as well.

I'd just like to take this chance to say please consider sponsoring a child whose life is entrapped in poverty.  A little bit on our part (which I know can be a sacrifice at times for many!) can change a life forever.  Please consider Compassion International or at least an organization who values the dignity of the children they serve and who is transparent on how your money is used to help.

Thanks for "listening."  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment